Last Updated on
Getting a tattoo is one of those things that has a significant appeal whether it is a symbol of independence or to express creativity or perhaps people in love declaring their undying devotion to each other by tattooing their partner’s name on a selected part of their bodies.
But a few years along the line, they might regret the decision and are looking at the option of tattoo removal.
Tattoos are permanent and not easily removed, plus traditional methods such as salabrasion or dermabrasion can be very painful and not the ideal options
Thanks to new technology, laser removal is the preferred choice due to the low risk of scarring and the effectiveness of the procedure.
1. What to expect during the laser tattoo removal procedure:
Procedure and timeline
2. The number of sessions required:
The average required amount of treatments are between 5-10. On average it takes about seven sessions for the process to be completed.
- Colors – Different colors require different settings on the laser. Multicolor designs that are complex will take much longer as opposed to a one color design. Some colors are removed easier than others. For instance, black or blue tattoos are removed a lot easier with laser treatment than colors like yellow or green.
- Location on the body - tattoos that are situated on extremities such as the ankle area take longer than other areas.
- The age of the tattoo, as tattoo’s fade with time.
- The depth and type of ink used in the tattoo.
- Patient’s immune response to the treatment.
- If the patient had undergone previous laser treatments.
3. How to choose a laser tattoo removal company:
First, do some research and look for a reputable laser tattoo removal company that specializes in this field and that make use of advanced laser equipment that to give you the best results that are the least painful within the shortest amount of sessions. The more sessions you need, the more expensive it will be.
Some clinics offer a free consultation and trial test patch to help decide whether to go ahead with the treatment and if you would like to make use of their services.
Laser Equipment used
When considering laser tattoo removal Sydney based company, the first thing you need to ask is what type of lasers are they using.
The ink removal process is a lengthy and intricate procedure. Lasers use powerful bursts of energy to shatter the ink pigments within the tattoo into tiny fragments which are expelled by the body.
The Picosure tattoo removal laser comes highly recommended, due to its bursts that are measured in picoseconds (trillionths of a second) causing it to remove all tattoo colors in fewer sessions. The ink comes off more easily. The area that has undergone treatment will heal faster compared to undergoing treatment with the traditional nanosecond lasers.
4. Skin reaction to the treatment
- A white surface layer over the tattoo area during the treatment is a good indication that the process is working.
- This is caused by the tattoo pigment been broken down and the reaction to the laser.
- After the first treatment, a small amount of pinpoint bleeding and a red discoloration on the surrounding skin might occur.
- The swelling and redness may last for a week, and the skin sensation is similar to the sting of a mild sunburn.
- A small amount of blistering might occur after which a small scab will form. This area should be left untouched to avoid scarring.
All the reactions mentioned above are a standard healing response to the removal process.
5. Possible side -effects of laser tattoo removal
6. After-care tips
After-care is vital to ensure that the affected area heals effectively and to acquire the desired results.
Laser tattoo removal treatments are a time-consuming and costly process, and you want to use a laser clinic that can provide you with the best possible results.
Various skin conditions are treated by using a laser, but ideally, you should be looking for a clinic that specializes in tattoo removal with staff that has experience in this type of procedure.
When you go for the initial consultation, ask questions about your concerns and make sure that you are satisfied with the level of professionalism and responses that you’ve received from them.
Be specific about the level of treatment that you require. Are you thinking about removing the tattoo for good, are you changing some parts of it or are you considering covering it up? Make sure that you give the company all the relevant information that they may need to address your specific needs.