5 Proven Home Remedies For Growing Hair That Work Like A Charm
When you look in the mirror, are you happy with the way your hair looks? If your strands are shiny, silky and luxurious, you have a reason to be proud. But if your hair is thin and tears easily you are probably worried.
What can we do in such situations? We don’t want brittle hair. We want healthy, thick strands that make everyone look at us with admiration. Fortunately, there are many hair growth products available on the market for such emergencies.
However, there is another option. To stimulate hair growth, we don’t need to look further than our kitchen cabinet. It contains many home remedies for growing hair that can save us a trip to the drug store. Moreover, since these remedies are completely free of any toxins or chemicals, they won’t damage your scalp.
But first, let’s unravel the big mystery behind hair growth.
How does the hair grow?
Were you ever worried that your hair wouldn’t grow back if you cut it? If you were, your fears would have quickly disappeared once you’ve seen how fast your hair regenerates. But how does this happen?
Well, let me tell you that there is nothing simple about our hair. Two main structures are of importance when we talk about growth – the hair follicle and the hair shaft.
The hair follicle is the part of our hair that’s located beneath the scalp. At its base lies a papilla which contains blood vessels to nourish the cells. Around that papilla, we have the hair bulb – the living part of our hair. What’s unusual about the bulb is that its cells divide every 23 to 72 hours. That’s very fast compared to other cells in our body.
The hair follicle is surrounded by an inner and an outer sheath. The role of these sheaths is to protect and form the hair shaft - the hair we see on your scalp. It’s actually made of a dead protein called keratin. The bulb produces new cells and these cells push the old ones through the surface of the scalp. Sounds unbelievable, right?
Our hair growth cycle consists of three phases:
- Anagen. During this phase, the bulb produces new cells rapidly for about two to six years. It fact, the hair grows about 1 cm a month. If you have a short anagen cycle, you probably can’t grow your hair very long. On the other hand, a long anagen cycle means longer hair.
- Catagen. This is the transitional phase during which the growth stops and the club hair forms.
- Telogen. During this phase, the hair is at rest. We lose around 50 to 100 strands of telogen hair a day.
If anything intervenes with this cycle, we are likely to experience hair loss or thinning of the hair shaft. Common reasons for this are genes, environment, hair styling products, stress, chemicals.
Signs of growing hair
Hair growth is individual. It all depends on the duration of your anagen cycle. But it’s also imperial that you keep your hair healthy if you want long strands. How can you tell if your hair is fine? Well, the signs of a healthy growing hair are:
- Few or no split ends at all.
- No broken hair or excess shedding. When the hair falls naturally, you can see the root at the end of the strand. The fallen hair strand will also be the length of your hair.
- The hair is shiny, smooth and easy to manage.
- No dryness.
- Healthy scalp with no dandruff.
If you have experienced some hair loss, you might be worried whether your hair will grow again. Here are the signs that the hair is growing:
- Dark spots or shadows in the hair follicle.
- Short growth followed by substantial growth.
How to stimulate hair growth?
If you want to have a long and healthy hair, there are many options available to promote hair growth. For example, you can use various shampoos to make your hair thicker and more voluminous. Especially for men who want to style all the best hairstyles for thick hair, using good shampoos, conditioners and styling products are essential.
However, there are many home remedies for growing hair that are easy to prepare. They would nourish your hair and stimulate it to grow. Moreover, they are completely safe, inexpensive, and tested. So, take a look at these home remedies for growing hair and choose the one that appeals most to you.
And don’t forget to be patient. Unfortunately, hair growth can’t happen for a day or two no matter if you use home remedies or hair growth stimulating shampoos.
1. Fenugreek accelerates growth
Fenugreek has many incredible health benefits both for your body and your hair. Fenugreek seeds are rich in protein, and they contain nicotinic acid which stimulates your hair to grow, strengthen it and protects it from damage.
They also contain another important compound for your hair called lecithin. It moisturizes your scalp and gives your strands a shiny look. And since fenugreek has antibacterial and antifungal properties, it keeps your hair free of dandruff.
- fenugreek seeds
- a bowl with water
- a mortar and pestle
- Fill one cup with fenugreek seeds.
- Soak the cup of fenugreek seeds in the bowl of water.
- Leave it till morning.
- Then strain the water.
- Grind the seeds.
- Make a thick paste and apply it on the scalp.
- Massage your scalp for 3-5 minutes.
- Wait a couple of hours.
- Rinse with water.
- Repeat at least once a week.
Alternatively, you can add coconut milk for better results.
- fenugreek paste
- coconut milk
- Make fenugreek paste by following the above-mentioned recipe.
- Add coconut milk to the paste.
- Mix well.
- Apply the mixture to your scalp.
- Time 30 minutes.
- Rinse with shampoo.
- Repeat once every two weeks.
Notes: If you don’t have coconut milk, you can substitute with yogurt. Also, if you’re allergic to nuts you might want to avoid using fenugreek seeds. Here’s a video for you to watch for more information.
2. Onion juice prevents hair loss
If you want a long and healthy hair, you only need to look at your vegetable shelf. Yes, that’s right – onions are excellent for your hair. Let’s see why onion is one of the best hair growth products:
- Onions are rich in sulfur, which is essential for proper hair growth.
- It improves the scalp circulation. Thus, it nourishes the hair and protects you from hair loss.
- Thanks to its antibacterial and antifungal properties, it will keep scalp infections away.
- It contains an enzyme called catalase which improves the elasticity of the hair. It also makes it stronger so that it won’t break so easily.
Here’s how to make it work.
- Peel one onion.
- Chop it into tiny slices.
- Put in the blender.
- Make a puree and put it in the cheesecloth.
- Squeeze the juice into a bowl.
- Apply the juice to your scalp.
- Wait 15 minutes.
- Rinse with shampoo.
- Repeat several times a week.
For better results, you can mix onions with curd.
- a bowl
- Extract the juice following the procedure listed above.
- Measure two tablespoons and pour them into the bowl.
- Add two tablespoons of curd.
- Mix well.
- Apply the concoction to your scalp thoroughly from root to tip.
- Wait one hour.
- Wash your hair with mild shampoo.
- Repeat twice a week.
Notes:You can substitute curd with yogurt, and add a little honey or rosemary oil for better results. Here you can find more recipes with onion.
3. Potato is excellent for thin hair
If you have thin hair, there is no better remedy than potato juice. It’s very rich in vitamin B and C, zinc and iron. They are important for nourishing your hair and keeping it healthy.
In addition to this, potato juice unclogs the hair follicles, promotes growth, cleanses your scalp, and makes your hair shiny.
Are you wondering how to make it work for you? Here’s the recipe:
- a potato
- a blender
- a cheesecloth
- a bowl
- Peel a potato.
- Chop it into tiny pieces.
- Put them in the blender.
- Make a smooth puree.
- Use the cheesecloth to squeeze out the juice into the bowl.
- Apply the juice thoroughly on your scalp.
- Massage your scalp for 15 minutes.
- Rinse with water.
Alternatively, you can mix potato juice, honey and egg to make a hair mask.
- one cup of potato juice
- an egg
- a bowl
- cool water
- Make a fresh batch of potato juice by following the recipe above.
- Add the potato juice to the bowl.
- Add one whisked egg white and some honey.
- Stir well.
- Apply the concoction to your hair.
- Wait at least half an hour.
- Rinse with cool water.
Notes: You can also mix potato juice with onion juice or aloe vera.
4. Hibiscus flower for thick hair
Hibiscus flower might seem like something insignificant at first glance. But you couldn’t be more wrong. In facts, it’s among one of the best hair growth products that you can ever try. Let’s fee what makes this flower so special:
- It’s rich in vitamin C and boosts collagen production which is vital for hair growth.
- It has a high content of amino acids which nourish your scalp and make your hair stronger, thicker and more luxurious.
- Hibiscus flower also can prevent dryness, frizzing, thinning and tearing.
- Moreover, if you use hibiscus flower, you can say goodbye to dandruff and splits ends.
Here’s how to make it work:
- hibiscus flowers
- a blender
- coconut oil
- a pan
- Use the mortar and pestle to grind the hibiscus flower.
- Then grind three-four hibiscus leaves.
- Make a fine paste.
- Add four tablespoons of yogurt.
- Mix well.
- Apply to your scalp and massage.
- Wait one hour and rinse with a mild shampoo.
Notes:If you are pregnant, don’t take hibiscus flower orally. Here you can find more recipes with hibiscus flower. Or you can watch this video.
5. Avocado protects the hair from damage
If you have avocado lying about in your fridge, you can use it not only to make a salad. You can use it as an efficient home remedy for hair growth.
Avocado is rich in vitamin B and C which are essential for healthy hair. Moreover, since it has high-fat content, it makes the hair stronger and less likely to tear. It also nourishes the hair, stimulates grow and unclogs blocked hair follicles.
For better result, you can mix avocado with another delicious fruit – banana.
- a banana
- an avocado
- Cut the avocado and mash it.
- Peel the banana and mash it.
- Mix the two together.
- Make a fine paste.
- Apply it to your scalp.
- Wait 30 minutes.
- Rinse with shampoo and conditioner.
Notes: Here you can find more recipes with avocado. Read more on avocado oil benefits for hair.
Tips for promoting hair growth
What else can we do to stimulate our hair to grow? Well, consider these simple tips to achieve a long and lustrous hair:
- Watch out what you eat. The strength of your hair depends on the food you eat. The best food for hair growth is rich in protein and vitamin C like salmon and yellow peppers.
- Consume enough gelatins.
- Massage your scalp regularly.
- Take good care of your hair by using the right hair styling products.
- Avoid chemicals.
- Keep an eye on your hormones, especially the thyroid hormones.
So, what do you think about these home remedies for growing hair? Have you ever tried them? Don’t be shy to tell us your opinion in the comment section. And remember to share the article with your friends if you find it useful and interesting.