Last Updated on
One of the most embarrassing skin problems every woman has to deal with is blackheads. These nasty black bumps are not something you want people to see when they get close to you, right? Well, today I’m going to explain what causes blackheads and how to get rid of blackheads quickly.
What causes blackheads?
Blackheads are a type of acne, which develops on the face, neck, arms, chest, and shoulder. The reason why you get blackheads is a simple one – clogged hair follicles. When dead skin and excess oil build up in the opening of the hair follicle, it gets plugged. And you get a small bump.
The bump might be white or black. Whiteheads appear when the skin closes over the clogged pore, while blackheads form when the skin is exposed to air. The dead skin cells react with the oxygen and turn black.
Several factors might increase your chances of developing blackheads. These include:
Keep in mind that lack of proper hygiene is not a direct cause for blackheads and scrubbing your face too harshly will make things worse.
Symptoms of blackheads
How can you tell if you have a blackhead or a pimple? Well, blackheads are:
Pimples, on the other hand, are caused by bacteria invading the plugged pores. That’s why, they are painful, red and inflamed.
Home treatments for blackheads
Blackheads are usually treated with over-the-counter acne treatments. But if you are looking for a natural way to get rid of blackheads fast, you can use any of the following home remedies. However, if you don’t see any improvement, consult with a dermatologist.
#1 Cinnamon unclogs the pores
As many other cooking ingredients, cinnamon has numerous application outside the kitchen. Treating acne and blackheads is one of them. Cinnamon:
- Cinnamon powder
- A teaspoon
- A bowl
- Lukewarm water
- Measure one teaspoon of cinnamon powder and pour it into the bowl.
- Add two teaspoons of honey.
- Mix well unit you have a thick paste.
- Apply the cinnamon/honey paste to your face.
- Wait 20 minutes
- Wash with lukewarm water.
Notes: You can also mix some cinnamon powder with lemon juice and turmeric. Find more cinnamon face mask recipes here.
#2 Lemon juice tightens the pores
Another popular home remedies for acne and blackheads is lemon juice. It:
- Lemon juice
- A bowl
- Get some fresh lemon juice.
- Mix a few drops with one tablespoon of milk.
- Apply the concoction to your face.
- Avoid the eyes.
- Wait 5-10 minutes.
- Rinse your face with water and pat it dry.
Alternatively, you can mix lemon juice and water.
- Lemon juice
- A bowl
- A cotton ball
- Squeeze some fresh lemon juice into the bowl.
- Add a little water.
- Use the cotton ball to apply the mixture to your face.
- Wait for it to dry and rinse with water.
Notes: Never apply lemon juice on your skin undiluted because it will cause irritation. Also, don’t expose your skin to the sun after you have used lemon juice for at least an hour.
#3 Honey is a natural moisturizer
Honey has been a widely known and used remedy when it comes to skin problems. It:
- An apple
- Chopped mint
- A bowl
- A blender
- A knife
- A stove
- Peel the apple.
- Cut it into pieces and put them into the blender.
- Blend until you have a pulp.
- Pour the pulp into the bowl.
- Add the chopped mint and cornmeal (a tablespoon).
- Get some honey and warm it over the stove.
- Add the honey to the other ingredients and mix well.
- Apply the thick paste to your face.
- Wait 10 minutes and rinse.
Notes: You can find more honey mask recipes here. It’s also a good idea to do a patch test to make sure that there won’t be any unwanted side effects.
#4 Egg white absorbs excess oil
Egg white contains an enzyme called lysozyme, which has astringent properties and tightens the pores. Also, egg whites are rich in protein, which absorbs excess oil, while the vitamins and amino acids nourish the skin.
For best results, you can combine egg white with sugar, a natural exfoliant due to its grainy texture.
- Two eggs
- A fork
- A bowl
- Get two eggs and break them.
- Separate the egg white from the yolk.
- Use the fork to whisk the egg white in the bowl.
- Add a tablespoon of sugar.
- Mix well and rub the mixture on your face.
- Wait 15 minutes and wash with water.
Notes: Don’t use this remedy if you’re allergic to eggs. And always use fresh eggs.
#5 Strawberries have antioxidant effect
Strawberries are not only a healthy, delicious fruit, but they could also have an amazing effect on your skin. Strawberries:
- one strawberry
- lemon juice
- a bowl
- Mash the strawberry in the bowl.
- Add half a teaspoon of honey and lemon juice.
- Mix to make a coarse paste.
- Apply to your skin.
- Wait 15 minutes and rinse with cold water.
- Repeat two-three times a week.
Notes: Here’s a video you can watch.
How to prevent blackheads?
Since blackheads are a source of immense embarrassment, here are some tips how to prevent blackheads:
Unfortunately, once you get these nasty black bumps, they are not going to disappear on their own. But now you know how to get rid of blackheads quickly. Just remember – no squeezing, or you might damage your skin.
So what do you think of these home remedies for blackheads? Have you ever tried them? How do you deal with blackheads? Tell us in the comments.