The 5 Best Cat Beds For Your Cat
Cats are known to sleep quite a lot! So finding your cat one of the very best cat beds is crucial for their health and of course, their sleeping comfort. Not only will you be giving your cat a space they can call their very own, you will give them a safe and comfortable place for them to rest and relax. Here are our picks for the top five best cat beds available to give you and your cat a selection of high quality cat beds to choose from.
Aspen Pet Self Warming Cat Bed (Editors’ Choice)
How to Choose a Cat Bed
As I mentioned before, cats are known to sleep quite a lot. In fact, some cats can sleep upwards of 12 hours per day. Since cats require large amounts of sleep, they will need a cozy and safe place to do just that.
But finding the perfect- or should I say- purrfect, cat bed is not as simple as selecting the first cat bed you come across. There are a few things you, as the owner, will need to consider before you find the best cat bed for your cat.
One thing you need to know, cat beds will come in all sorts of different shapes, sizes, materials and designs. Of course, there are also a wide range of colors to choose from too. Good news, your cat will not care about the color, so no matter which type or design of cat bed you end up choosing, you can have the freedom to choose a color that suits you or your interior design.
Choosing the right size cat bed for your cat is one of the most important deciding factors. You want to make sure that your cat will be able to stretch out comfortably. But be careful not to get one that is way too big. Your cat will feel more security and comfort within a smaller place.
A good tip of advice for choosing the right size for your cat is taking measurements. To measure your cat for a cat bed, you will need to measure from the top of their head to the base of their tail and once you have that number, add a couple of inches. This final number will give you the number you need to find a cat bed that will suit your cat’s size needs.
You will also need to make sure that the cat bed is easy for your cat to get into and to get out of. If you have a senior cat or a small kitten, you will want to ensure that the walls of the cat bed are low enough for them to step in and out of. In these cases, the classical style of cat bed would be best suited since they have higher walls for security, yet the entrance is low enough for your cat to enter and exit easily.
Materials are another important deciding factor. Linings and stuffing made from natural fabrics are the best choices. They will provide your cat extra comfort and will even help with certain allergies. Natural fabrics will include: cotton, wool, kapok, and even feathers. Alternatively, you can choose synthetic fabrics or fibers since they are known to be hypoallergenic as well.
Maintaining your cat bed will be another thing you need to think about as the owner. You will need to ensure the cat bed is cleaned often for the health of your cat. Choosing a cat bed that is machine washable will help you sanitize your cat’s area and ensure it is kept free from parasites such as fleas as well as certain allergens.
Once you have considered the above deciding factors about the actual cat bed, you will need to find a place to put it. Your cat will require a quiet, clean, and private place in order to rest, relax, and sleep. This area should be warm in the winter months, yet cooler in the summer months.
Even if your cat enjoys sleeping with you some of their time, they should also have a place (or two) to rely upon when they need privacy or when you are away. If you have a multi-floor house, you might want to consider placing a cat bed on each of the levels.
You can experiment with the final placement by placing the cat bed in different areas of the home. Trial and error will show you where your cat likes to sleep best. Or you could place the bed in a location where your cat already likes to take a nap.
If your cat has never used a cat bed before, you can introduce a cat bed in their life easily. Some cats will take to the new addition right away, while other cats will be skeptical of the new bed. You can easily get your cat to use a new bed by using these tips:
- Place the cat bed in your cat’s favorite sleeping spot
- Leave behind a few treats in the bed so they associate the bed with food
- Use a little catnip (either a spray or the organic leaves) on and around the bed so your cat will associate the cat bed with a good, positive feeling
- Give your cat praise with pets or vocal cues when they are using the cat bed
- Place a favorited item of your cats into the bed to give them extra security.
- Have patience- in due time your cat will realize how much comfort they have at their disposal.
1. K&H Thermo-Kitty Heated Cat Bed
The K&H Thermo-Kitty Heated cat bed will be sure to keep your cat warm and cozy-even through the coldest winter nights. The soft foam walls will be sure to give your cat the security and comfort they seek.
This cat radiator bed comes with a heater that will only use 4 watts of power and it is MET listed. Although it is for indoor use only, your cat will be happy with the soft and warm addition to their environment.
- Removable cover that can be machine washed
- Only uses 4 watts of power
- One year warranty
- Available in 2 sizes and 2 colors
- Made from a soft foam
- Keeps your cat nice and warm
- Great for senior or ailing cats
- Indoor use only
- May be too small for larger cat breeds or multiple cats use
2. Original KITTY COT
The Original KITTY COT is an elevated cat bed which will suit the resting and relaxation needs of a cat that loves to perch. This cat bed can easily adhere to any window with brand patented suction cups.
In combination with the brand patented suction cups, the support cables are made from stainless steel which both ensure safety and durability. If your cat likes a great view when they perch, they will love using the Original KITTY COT. And since it is very easy to clean, you will be able to maintain this cat bed for a long time.
- Great for cats that love to perch or rest up high
- Quite durable
- Made from high quality and pet safe materials
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Supports up to 25 pounds
- Very strong suction cups and support cables
- Can only be used by adhering to a window
- Not suitable for very young kittens or cats who cannot jump in or out of the bed
- Not for cats over 25 pounds
- Not for outdoor use
3. Original Cat Caves, By Earthtone Solutions
The Earthtone Solutions Original Cat Cave is a great option for cats that prefer a more secluded and cozy cat bed. This cat bed is highly regarded among luxury cat beds and is great for cats and kittens alike.
The size is suitable for either 1 large cat, 2 smaller cats, or even a litter of kittens. Since this cat bed is fully enclosed, your cat will feel safe and secure during rest and relaxation. And since it is made from a natural wool, you can be sure this cat bed is very safe for your pets to use.
- Provides a safe and secure bed for your cats
- Made from wool
- Great for kittens and cats of all ages
- Multiple sizes and colors available to choose from
- Keeps your cat warm by trapping their own body heat inside
- Perfect for cats that are known as ‘bush dwellers’
- Older cats may have trouble getting in and out of this cat bed
- Not for kittens younger than 10 weeks’ old
- Some cats may not like the ‘cat cave’ style of cat bed
- Indoor use only
4. Aspen Pet Self Warming Cat Bed
The Aspen Pet Self-Warming Cat bed incorporates the same self-heating technology as space blankets do. Simply put, your cat’s own body heat will enable the self-warming material to warm up and maintain heat while the cat bed is in use.
There is a non-skid bottom included and there is no electricity required for use. This cat bed is great for cats of all ages and sizes since it is easy to enter and exit this cat bed. Easy to wash and maintain the Aspen Cat bed will be soft and durable for years to come.
- Non-skid bottom
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Uses cat’s own body heat to maintain warmth during use
- Great for cats of all ages and sizes
- Multiple sizes and colors available
- Soft and cozy material
- Can be used outdoors
- Great for old and ailing cats
- Will not last as long if used outdoors
- Stuffed with a lumpy material- some cats might not like this
5. K&H Manufacturing Outdoor Kitty House
The K&H Outdoor Kitty House is a great addition to your backyard for any cats that dwell outside. The best part is the fact that it is an outdoor heated cat bed so you can be sure your cat will be warm on colder nights or during the winter months.
With an easy assembly, you can quickly give your outdoor cat protection from the elements since this cat house is heated, insulated, and water proof. And since the 20-watt electric heater is run on batteries, you don’t have to worry about mixing in an electric line. But don’t worry, the battery powered heater is MET listed safe for your cat.
- Perfect for outdoor use
- Provides shelter, heat, and warmth to your cat
- Available in heated or unheated
- Great for any sized cat
- Can fit multiple cats inside
- MET listed and safe for your cat to use
- Two exits included
- Soft and comfortable interior
- Great for sub-zero temperatures
- Easy to assemble
- Best used outdoors
- Must replace batteries often to ensure heat will work
- Not the easiest to clean
Finding your cat the best cat beds can be done just so long as you understand what your cat needs and what they like. Our favorite cat bed would have to be the Aspen Self-warming cat bed. Not only is it great for any age cat, it can be suitable for nearly any sized cat as well.
Since it uses the cat’s own body heat to warm up and stay warm, you can be sure your cat is very cozy, secure, and of course warm, whenever they use this cat bed. Complete with a non-skid bottom, your cat will not have to worry about the bed sliding around when they are using it.
No matter which cat bed you decide upon for your cat or cats, we can be sure you will find the perfect cat bed among these top five best cat beds. Just so long as you can make your cat feel warm, comfortable, safe, and secure while they rest and relax, you will make your cat cozy, but most importantly, happy.