16 Superb Home Remedies for Bald Spots to Help Prevent Them
“The worst thing baldness causes is loneliness” – Unknown
That, while not always true, is pretty bad in itself.
When men and some women get a certain age, baldness is inevitable. You have heard of many kinds of natural hair loss treatment and maybe tried some of them, but they haven’t worked? Disclaimer: Our home remedies for bald spots are not going to get rid of your bald spots, but they will prevent new ones from forming or, if you do not have any yet, keep them from ever appearing. Worth a read, no?
Causes of Baldness
Over two-thirds of men suffer from baldness, 10% being completely bald. Baldness is a condition where you have little or no hair on the head, and bald spots – patches of skin on the scalp without hair. Scientifically, baldness is called alopecia. If you have alopecia totalis, that is full loss of all the hair on your scalp.
Mind you, not face – this is why you will occasionally come across the aging rocker with a long, flowing beard and no hair on his head – compensatory mechanism. It isn’t quite the same though.
The main cause of baldness is clogging of hair follicles. This in turn may be caused by a number of factors such as, but not limited to hormonal changes, heredity, protein and / or iron deficit, excessive consumption of carrots and other products that contain a high amount of vitamin A, an infection of the scalp, stress, thyroid disorders, anemia and other long- or short-term illnesses.
Anabolic steroids are an important factor of baldness in younger men. I have seen men as young as 20 with alopecia totalis. Erectile dysfunction is another side effect of them, but hey, it’s just a matter of priorities.
In women, causes of baldness include birth control pills, pregnancy, menopause, and overuse of hair curlers or straighteners.
Chemotherapy as a cancer treatment also causes baldness.
Signs and Symptoms
Bald spots are the first sign of baldness. Thinning hair, receding hairline, a round hairless patch on the very top of the scalp, hair falling out while brushing or shampooing in the shower, rapid weight loss, rapid loosening of the hair follicles, stress and nail problems are the other signs and symptoms of baldness.
A lot of people try medical treatment or surgery to stop hair loss, but this is really expensive and not always effective. Instead of feeding doctors, why don’t you try some of our simple and easy home remedies? Your hair (or what’s left of it) will thank you!
1. A bit of that rosemary you have in the kitchen
Anybody who is even remotely familiar with cooking knows the amazing taste rosemary, especially the plant (not the dried leaves), can lend to dishes. It works great with chicken, fish food…but I digress. You probably have some dried rosemary in the kitchen is what I am saying.
50 g of dried rosemary
200 ml of water
A few drops of lemon juice and camphor oil
- Boil the herb in the water for five minutes, strain, and use to rinse scalp once daily. Rosemary improves blood circulation, which is why it is so effective against bald spots.
- You can add a few drops of lemon juice and camphor oil to the water, dip a cotton swab in this solution and dab it on the bald spot/s.
- You can use rosemary oil to stimulate hair growth. Massage it gently into the scalp and leave it on for several minutes before washing off.
2. Aloe Vera Gel – A variety of medicinal properties
Aloe vera’s medicinal properties go way above and beyond skin care. It’s best to use real aloe vera gel from the plant. You can get frozen aloe vera for this, warm it up and mix it with water or buy a plant and cut a few leaves. You can also use aloe juice – again, it should be as concentrated as possible for the best effect.
- One cup of aloe vera juice or half a cup of gel
- Mix the gel with water and cover your bald spots every morning for a few days. It will open up the follicles, stimulating hair growth.
3. Beetroot leaves and henna – not hard to find and really works
Beetroot leaves are one of the best home remedies.
- Boil the leaves in water and grind, then add henna. Stir until you have a thick paste. Apply it on the head and leave for ten minutes, then rinse with warm water.
4. Lemon - the most common home remedy
Lemon has 1001 medical uses at least, which you should know if you have been reading our articles regularly. It can be used with olive oil to fight baldness.
The juice of one fresh lemon
10 ml of olive oil
One glass of water
- Add the oil to the juice of one fresh lemon.
- Now add the water and stir.
- Cover your head with this once a day for two weeks. Wait a few minutes, then rinse with cool water.
5. Olive oil also works by itself
5 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Massage a bit of olive oil onto the scalp gently twice a day. You can also eat it, but keep in mind that it has a LOT of calories.
6. Coconut oil works wonders
Coconut oil is one of the most effective home remedies for treating baldness. You have to get the all-natural type of this anti-inflammatory antiseptic, however, else it won’t work. All natural coconut oil can be purchased in specialized stores.
15 ml of coconut oil
- Just dab some on your scalp before you go to bed and massage it in gently. It helps by stimulating the hair follicles.
- Leave on overnight and wash off in the morning. You can do this as often as you like.
7. Natural Oil Mix - Go all out
If you want to experience an amazing all-natural oil treatment, you’ve come to the right place!
Three drops of virgin coconut oil
Two drops of hot mustard oil
Four drops of cinnamon oil
- Heat up a pan of water, add the oils and stir. Then wait for the mix to cool to room temperature.
- When it does, dab a cotton swab and cover your scalp, wait 5 minutes and wash off.
- Do this for about a week.
8. Black Pepper and fenugreek seeds – a dynamic duo
Black pepper offers some amazing health benefits, and works wonders against baldness especially in tandem with ground fenugreek seeds.
Crushed black pepper
Ground lime seeds
Ground fenugreek seeds
- Mix the three ingredients until you have a homogenous paste and apply directly on the scalp, spreading it evenly.
- Wait an hour, then rinse.
9. Onion and yogurt stimulate blood circulation
The sulphur in onion and protein in yogurt help treat baldness.
The juice of one onion
200 g of yogurt
- Put the onion in a blender and extract the juice.
- Mix with the yogurt and place on affected areas, two times a day, for 12-15 minutes.
10. Honey is one of the oldest natural remedies in the world
Honey is not only extremely beneficial, but also delicious – no wonder it has been likened to ambrosia so often! Its ethereal oils and alcohol in honey help prevent bald spots.
One teaspoon of honey
A glass of hot water
- Mix one teaspoon of honey into a glass of hot water (but not too hot to bear) and rub it slowly into the bald spots several times a day.
- Every time you perform this process, wait for the mix to dry on scalp to take effect.
- Wait 20 minutes, then rinse.
11. Coriander Leaves are a natural remedy
Five fresh coriander leaves
- Crush the leaves until you get a fine paste and apply to bald spots once a day for a month.
- You can also treat bald spots with coriander juice to prevent hair fall.
12. Gooseberry Juice – Little known, but effective
Gooseberry juice is recommended for a host of hair problems.
100 ml of gooseberry juice
50 ml of boiled coconut oil
- Mix the products and cover your scalp. Wait 10 mins, then rinse.
- Do this once a week for a few months and you won’t believe the results!
Note: A lot of women use gooseberry powder to strengthen their hair. This is done by boiling water and adding gooseberry powder to it. Stir until homogenous, add some honey and yogurt and dab on strands and roots, wait half an hour, then wash off.
13. Egg Yolk – the simplest and easiest of all
The yolk of one egg
Two teaspoons of gooseberry juice
- Mix the ingredients and apply on scalp.
- Wait half an hour and rinse with mild shampoo three times a week.
Note: Egg yolk is incredibly effective against baldness. It has been used as a treatment since the dawn of time.
14. Mustard and camphor oil massage – because you’re worth it
Massaging with mustard oil can help prevent bald spots, remove dark spots and blemishes, and protect your bald scalp from the sun.
- Mix the oils and heat up, then let cool.
- Pour in a dish and gently rub on the scalp twice a day for two weeks. You won’t believe the results – just be patient!
15. Apple cider vinegar is a wonder solution
Apple cider vinegar can help prevent baldness – you won’t believe how great is it. Its medicinal uses have been known for ages. Regular vinegar will work too.
One teaspoon of apple cider / regular vinegar
One 2/3 full glass of water
- Add the vinegar to the warm water, let it cool to room temperature and rub on the bald spot/s a few times a day.
Note: Do not keep on for more than 10 minutes because it might irritate the scalp.
16. Banana and Celery Juice – perfect for all hair and skin problems
- Process all the ingredients in a juicer or blender, shake or stir and cover your scalp. You can do this as often as you like and for as long as you like.
To prevent baldness, avoid heating or drying machines and do not dye your hair more often than once every three months. Do not brush your hair when it is wet and brush it gently, without pulling hard. Avoid stress and use protein-rich shampoo.
Avoid hair gel, always wear a hat when it is sunny, and get your scalp massaged and oiled on a regular basis.
Consume protein-, iron-, vitamin C- and zinc-rich foods.
Sleep deprivation and alcohol abuse will exacerbate hair loss.
Stay hydrated and exercise regularly.
Do not go on strict diets.
Do not skip meals, avoid fast food, and eat fresh, healthy fruits and vegetables.
Use hot oil treatment, rub your scalp with ginger or garlic juice, try medicinal shampoo.
Avoid over-scrubbing the scalp in the shower.
Do not brush your hair too often.
Did you like our list of home remedies? Baldness really is worse than most people who have no problems with it think, and loneliness is the least of it. It is in no way life-threatening unless it is a symptom of an underlying condition, so if none of our remedies work, you should see a doctor and get tested just in case.
Please tell us what you think in the comments and share this article so you can help other people out there who are suffering from baldness. It can and does take a toll on one’s self-esteem, prospects and outlook on life.